Recovered Memory: New York and Paris 1960-1980 is a meditation on time and place and an ode to the New York and Paris of yesterday—before the internet and 24/7 news. These two great cities, connecting the Old World and the New, are the cultural capitals of the West. Frank Van Riper’s striking black and white photographs and eloquent text capture the 20th-century romance and grit of these two remarkable places when the pace of daily life was slower and somehow less threatening.
Drawing on his talents as a documentary photographer and journalist, Frank Van Riper reflects on a time when one could visit the Eiffel Tower without seeing police and automatic weapons, when a ride on the New York subway cost 15 cents, when the smell of fresh-baked baguettes wafted over nearly every Parisian neighborhood— when the Coney Island parachute ride still thrilled thousands.
Event in English. Books available for sale. Light refreshments after event.
AFDC Member / Culture Pass: $10 + Processing Fees – General Admission: $15 + Processing Fees.
Culture & Events policies:
- The member discount is applicable for one ticket per member.
- Guests must pay the non-member price.
- Refunds will be issued when Alliance française cancels an event, or upon a 24-hour request for refund with or without cause sent via email to cultureaf(at)francedc.org by an attendee. No other refunds will be given.
- The cultural department highly recommends advanced registration (online, by phone, or in person), as events sell out quickly.
- If tickets are available, the AFDC can accept payment at the door by credit card, check, or cash (exact change only). The AFDC cannot make change at the door. The AFDC reserves the right to refuse entry to sold out events.
2 hours street parking from 7:30am to 8:30pm.